About Me

My photo
This blog existed originally as a project for my Journalism class as a Communications neophyte. But I decided to continue it still because I do love what I do, and I can't just leave this blog to rot. So far, I've got 2 blogs. The first one is a really bad version of a college-survival blog. And the second is a more personal blog dedicated to venting out the many debates that go on in my Egyptian head.

Sunday 27 May 2012

Am I sexy and I know it or.. honey you don't need to show it?

Today's post is inspired by a video I watched a few months ago with my friend Sieg. The video is of Glozell (a somewhat funny woman on Youtube) wearing a bikini and asking her audience if she's fine or.. unfine. Click here if you want to watch the video (I suggest you do, so that you could come up with your own unbiased opinion).

So Glozell isn't the fittest person out there and in the video, you can expect what she'd talk about. The beginning is already her saying there's a lot of pressure in society for people to look good but that you should love yourself no matter what. Then she moves on to ask the audience what they/we think of her... "or should I even care?" she goes on to say which actually hits me. I guess most of us try to be like that. We shouldn't really care what people think, but unfortunately, we're part of a social community. We DO care what people think and say. But I'm straying from my point..

My first reaction was my usual. Honestly, just.. wow, I'm so proud she doesn't care, she's not scared to expose herself like that when I can't even wear an almost-fit shirt for fear of it showing the rounded & unflattering shape of my tummy. And here she is, wearing a bikini AND posting the video of her in it on the internet, the fastest, most widespread way to share anything really. Kudos to her, you know? Why.. why can't I have that confidence? Why can't I realize that being human isn't just about being thin and I shouldn't waste my time worrying about how my body isn't as skinny as I'd like it to be, you know?

But after I showed it to Sieg, he had a different opinion which made me think. If we keep telling people, it's okay to be overweight, wouldn't that have a negative effect on them instead? It's like telling the kids, keep eating these mediocre fast-food burgers, gain weight and don't bother exercising to stay fit because it's OKAY.

I think there's a mistake here, where they try to send a positive message to the people. Instead of constantly reminding them to love their (overweight) body the way it is, they could change that. Instead of that, tell people that it's wrong to be okay with it. Being overweight isn't worth it, specially since it could lead to other health risks. What they could do instead is to inspire people to accept OTHER things. Say.. Accept one's chinky eyes, or one's shortness or your frizzy hair or dark skin tone. Those are the things people should learn to embrace and to accept. Because these are the things that won't harm you. Being overweight, well that will.

But before this ends, I don't mean to offend anyone through this post. I don't judge people, though it may sound I do through this. But it's just a thought, it's not something that pops into my head every time I see someone "unfine". I mean, I myself am rather unfine. All my friends have grown out of that and turned into young ladies but I guess I'm a late bloomer, or at least I like to think I am. But I'm trying to change, because I don't like how I am and this is the very reason for my unstable self-worth. Dear God, I hope I do get out of this ugly body someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment