About Me

My photo
This blog existed originally as a project for my Journalism class as a Communications neophyte. But I decided to continue it still because I do love what I do, and I can't just leave this blog to rot. So far, I've got 2 blogs. The first one is a really bad version of a college-survival blog. And the second is a more personal blog dedicated to venting out the many debates that go on in my Egyptian head.

Saturday 22 December 2012

Realizations when going home for the holidays

For kids like me whose family is practically spread out all over the globe (or at least 2 different countries), travelling becomes almost normal. The holidays are looked forward to not only because it's an escape from school and a time for relaxation but because finally, after months, sometimes an entire year, we finally get to go back to the place we call home and be with family.

My home is the Middle East, the Sultanate of Oman to be more specific. After 11 months away from home, 10 from my brothers and 8 from my parents, I finally got to pack my bags and look forward (sort of) to almost 12 hours of transit & travel. This time around, I got to travel with 2 awesome buds of mine Nico and Ara whose company I enjoy too much all the time. The flight was definitely something to look forward to and within those long hours of checking in, immigration lines, waiting for the flight, boarding, stopovers, and the actually flight itself, there have been a few realizations that we found ourselves (or maybe just me) thinking about.


  1. Sometimes, all you really have to do is ask. Hi, could I have orange juice AND water? Can we go to the waiting area already or is it too early? Is there any chance you can put our seats together? Can we just weigh our luggage together? My friend's sitting over there, is it possible if you both switch seats so that we could be together? It answers your questions immediately and you'd be surprised as to how much you can get just by gathering the courage to ask. 
  2. Carry a happy disposition & don't be rude. Travelling can sometimes be stressful and seriously, you're not the only one who's tired from the terrible flight and lack of sleep. One of the best things I've found while travelling is accidentally bumping into someone (or their luggage) and having them smile at me instead of complaining. It makes a difference.
  3. Stewards cater to many people in the plane. Sometimes they forget you asked for an extra cup of water so don't get mad. Instead, just get their attention and ask again. They'll be back in no time with a bright smile and an offer for anything else you might need. See also number 1. 

For the heavier realizations however..
  1. Flying with good friends means more than just the company. Considering the 3 of us have been friends since we were mere kids, graduated grade school and high school together, and 75% of us goes to the same college, we've been together almost all our lives and travelling back home together somehow gives us the opportunity to see our growth as individuals. We've gone a long way since high school and it excites me to know that we witness each other's changes.
  2. There's an anxious feeling towards landing. Sometimes, we just want the flight to go on and on and on mostly because we don't want to land. Because landing would mean being home, which is, in reality, what we look forward to but landing also means the rest of the days are counted. And that's not all too exciting.
  3. Fighting's become this fucked up idea in your mind that you are too tired to deal with. You're 18 already and frankly, 19 out of 360 days with your family is too little. There's no more point in arguing with your parents about something you want or something they did. Level up in maturity and don't waste any moment with them with ill feelings. 
  4. Family suddenly becomes more important. I think this is my most important realization. This year, I didn't bother asking who'd be going home and desperately getting people's numbers to meet them. If anything really, I'm doing my best to avoid meeting people. All I really want to do is just be with my family and go out with them. Despite not seeing other people for so long, they're suddenly not as important as they used to be. I think this is the biggest growth within me, putting family first. 

No comments:

Post a Comment